Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cleaning/Lubrication of P320 Striker Assembly - is it necessary?
GrumpyMCO Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 6:29:46 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've had my P320 for a couple of years, shot 1000's of rounds through it and have never disassembled the slide to clean/lubricate the extractor or striker assembly. In the manual - it specifically states not to get lubrication in the striker channel.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago - a friend purchased a P320 Tacops and he was saying the only item he needed to get was a punch so he could disassemble the slide to clean and lubricate the striker assembly.

It's a pretty safe bet that my knowledge level on the care and maintenance of firearms is less than everyone on this forum...so my question is:

Is it necessary or even desirable to go through the steps to remove the striker assembly and/or extractor to clean and lubricate them?
exfed2002 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 7:21:15 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
GrumpyMCO;43639 wrote:
I've had my P320 for a couple of years, shot 1000's of rounds through it and have never disassembled the slide to clean/lubricate the extractor or striker assembly. In the manual - it specifically states not to get lubrication in the striker channel.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago - a friend purchased a P320 Tacops and he was saying the only item he needed to get was a punch so he could disassemble the slide to clean and lubricate the striker assembly.

It's a pretty safe bet that my knowledge level on the care and maintenance of firearms is less than everyone on this forum...so my question is:

Is it necessary or even desirable to go through the steps to remove the striker assembly and/or extractor to clean and lubricate them?

Crud accumulates.

I try to take down slides on the weapons I use frequently maybe once/year.

I always keep the extractor claw area clean during regular maintenance, a pipe cleaner wet with non-chlorinated brake cleaner will do that. I always check it for visible signs of damage and make sure that it is under tension but can move.

Annual take down would include cleaning the striker, striker channel, extractor and extractor channel and parts. Takes but a few seconds.

One area that should not have any lube at all are the the striker and the striker channel.
MikeJackmin Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 7:34:18 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
> One area that should not have any lube at all are the the striker and the striker channel.

This is my understanding as well.

It is possible for tiny bits of crud to enter the channel, and once there, they would naturally migrate to the end of the channel where they would get packed to the space between it and the firing pin. At some point the crud gets thick enough to begin softening the blow of the firing pin, and you'll start to see light strikes. Cleaning it out every few thousand rounds seems prudent, but keep in mind the world is full of reliable striker pistols, and full of people who never do this, so it's not something that needs to be done very often.
3 users thanked MikeJackmin for this useful post.
GrumpyMCO on 5/7/2018(UTC), XavierNu on 5/9/2018(UTC), ontmark on 6/10/2018(UTC)
SCSurfer Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2018 10:31:28 AM(UTC)
SCSurfer

Man

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
I took the Sig Armorers course for the P320 and these guys are right. Breaking it down about once a year is recommended and the one thing I'll add is they also recommend replacing your recoil spring assembly once a year as well... it will loose strength and start causing failure to feed and/or failure to eject issues.
Jim

P250SC .40S&W
P320C 9mm/.40S&W
Ruger P89 9MM
Windham VEX .223
Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch 12g
3 users thanked SCSurfer for this useful post.
GrumpyMCO on 5/7/2018(UTC), XavierNu on 5/9/2018(UTC), ontmark on 6/10/2018(UTC)