Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Travel guns
cstone Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2018 9:37:53 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I travel a fair amount; both for work and for personal business. In fact I am leaving early tomorrow for an extended driving trip. Five states, about 2400 miles in seven days, so it is a good thing I like to drive.

I will be spending a little time with friends and family along the way and I am taking a few guns so that we can all go shooting. I have recently been carrying my P250 sub-compact as it has been fairly warm at home and I just took it to the range last week, so I just continued to carry it. With this trip I was thinking about which handgun I would be carrying and I almost always go back to my Glock 22 with a .357 SIG barrel in it. I carry a couple of full sized 9mm magazines along with a 9mm conversion barrel as well as the original .40 S&W barrel and plenty of full sized .40 S&W magazines loaded with .357 SIG Speer GDHP. Ten magazines, a full sized Glock and two extra barrels really doesn't take up much space. Even when I fly domestically, I can take five mags, the G22 and two barrels without much weight or space penalty. My thinking is that no matter what happens, I shouldn't ever have a problem finding something to load that handgun. Anywhere that I go in the USA and I should be able to find enough 9mm, .40 S&W, on top of the .357 SIG I'm carrying, to get me home. Worst case scenario, if the handgun broke or was lost or destroyed, how hard would it be to find parts or a replacement here in the USA?

I admit, it seems a bit apocalyptic, maybe even distopian fantasy to even think I might need something like this. Consider me a Boy Scout as in I like to be prepared. When I leave on a trip like this one, I carry food and water along with some basic camping supplies. Even in summer, the mountains can get cold, so I have some cold weather gear in the vehicle at all times. No matter what happens, I plan to make it home.

You know the saying; fail to plan and you are planning to fail. What do you carry when you travel and more importantly why?
adepto super vestri ego
1 user thanked cstone for this useful post.
XavierNu on 4/19/2018(UTC)
SCSurfer Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 5:36:07 AM(UTC)
SCSurfer

Man

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Excellent advice to travel prepared when you can (a little more difficult when flying, especially here in Kalifornistan)!
I have family in Arizona and Colorado, so I drive to both places regularly. I always pack my P250SC as that is my carry gun. However, I also keep my P320 in a safe in my truck as both a backup and so I have options when I am able to get in range time.
Most of the time, I bring a rifle or shotgun with me as well, but that usually depends on how much other stuff I'm packing.
In addition to the usual vehicle safety gear (jumper cables, spare tire, snatch strap, flares, etc) I always keep first aid supplies (including an IFAK) and water in my truck, but when traveling, I also like to make sure I have some camping supplies and enough weather appropriate gear, depending on season and route. I also like to keep some energy bars handy. I'm lucky in that most of this can pack neatly away behind my back seat and doesn't take up much room. Obviously, the spare tire lives under the bed of my truck.
In my center console, I keep paracord (wrapped around fishing line/lures), fire-making materials (lighters, magnesium striker, multi-tools, a couple knives, pepper spray, signalling mirror and probably some stuff I'm not remembering right off hand.
Like cstone, I like to be prepared and figure I'll never need most of this stuff... but it will sure come in handy if I ever have a break-down in some out of the way spot. I often drive through Indian reservations in the four corners area where cell reception can be spotty or non-existent, and help may be hours or days away. I like knowing I have enough supplies to get me through at least a week of being stranded somewhere.
Definitely a good idea to consider what you bring with you when you're traveling; even though one can never bring EVERYTHING you'd want in a survival situation, with a little planning, it's surprising how much you can carry with you.
Good write up cstone!
Jim

P250SC .40S&W
P320C 9mm/.40S&W
Ruger P89 9MM
Windham VEX .223
Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch 12g
GrumpyBiker Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2018 3:28:48 PM(UTC)
GrumpyBiker

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 143 post(s)
Not apocalyptic at all.
I travel every other weekend in the motorhome with 2 AR pistols with 600tds.
And 6 pistols , three 9mm (G19,43 & a CM9), a .380 , a G27 (.40S&W) and my P250 or P220 .45acp.
With 5-600rds of ammunition for the pistols.
I have a bulletproof vest that stays in the coach & a pack with med kit , chest rig & battle belt.

Standard oh S**t gear.

So don't feel odd or out of place , you're in good company !
" He's a Mean Motor Scooter & A Bad Go Getter..."

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054

1 user thanked GrumpyBiker for this useful post.
XavierNu on 4/19/2018(UTC)
XavierNu Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 8:40:16 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
What I've gleaned from this is not that you're OVER prepared, but that I am grossly UNDER prepared, especially compared to Grump! BigGrin My road trips usually involve my P250C w/357Sig barrel and 4 loaded compact mags, 40S&W barrel and an additional 50rds of 357, 100rds of 40S&W and my CM9 with with one additional mag.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

GrumpyBiker Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:36:15 PM(UTC)
GrumpyBiker

Was thanked: 216 time(s) in 143 post(s)
LoL,
To be honest, I travel with a huge amount of gear in conjunction with the firearms.
But there's a dual purpose for that.
If while I'm away a fire or tornado relocates my home I won't be left starting over.
" He's a Mean Motor Scooter & A Bad Go Getter..."

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054

1 user thanked GrumpyBiker for this useful post.
XavierNu on 4/24/2018(UTC)
cstone Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2018 8:26:06 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
It was a very nice drive and I really enjoyed seeing some friends and family that I haven't seen in a while. Getting out shooting with some of them makes the time away from home almost worth it. I think my AR carbine chambered in .357 SIG out of Glock magazines was the most popular firearm. The Primary Arms red dot makes hitting adult sized silhouettes at 150 yards pretty easy for anyone with modest ability.

Like all of my trips, I needed about 1/10th of what I bring, but I'm used to that by now. Just a little snow in Colorado and Utah. Temps in Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico never went above 80 degrees, so this was definitely the right time of year to enjoy the desert.

Anyone recognize this photograph?
cstone attached the following image(s):
thumbnail_IMG_0051.jpg (261kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
adepto super vestri ego
1 user thanked cstone for this useful post.
XavierNu on 4/24/2018(UTC)
XavierNu Offline
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:50:23 PM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Glad your trip was safe and enjoyable!
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm