Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Breaking in a pistol -Wear and Tear
Sam250C Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 8:55:10 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Here's a question for some of y'all who have bought a brand new gun, and kept it for years, giving it plenty good workouts, putting lots of rounds thru it. This applies to any semi.

I bought a barely used Smith and Wesson Shield 9. Compared to my Sig P250C 40, the slide release is tight, rigid, and hard to work with just my right thumb. My P250 slide releases like butter. I hardly have to use any pressure at all with my right thumb to hit the release lever, and it snaps shut. The Shield is HARD to work with one thumb. I have to work the slide with the 2 handed method. Do you think this pistol over time will break in and get enough wear and tear near the slide release that it will be easier to work?
Sam

Sig P250C .40
S&W Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 3
Bulgarian Makarov 9x18
Taurus R46112 .357 Magnum
Taurus 85 .38 Special
Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Magnum
Assorted Shotguns
gc70 Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 9:12:34 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The slide release on the Shield will become a little easier to use over time, but it will probably never be as easy as the one on the P250C.

A gun's recoil spring pulls the slide forward against the slide release. The stronger the recoil spring, the more effort is needed to operate the slide release.

A Shield is shorter than a P250C, meaning a Shield necessarily has a shorter recoil spring. A Shield's shorter recoil spring is probably stronger relative to its length than a P250C's recoil spring.

A Shield is striker fired while a P250C is hammer fired. The recoil spring on a hammer fired gun only has to pull the slide forward to load the next round in the chamber. The recoil spring on a striker fired gun pulls the slide forward to load a round, but it also has to be strong enough to fully or partially cock the striker. So, all other things being equal, the recoil spring on a striker-fired gun would have to be stronger than the recoil spring on a hammer-fired gun.
cstone Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 9:13:44 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Yes.
adepto super vestri ego
MikeJackmin Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:05:54 PM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
A tiny wipe of grease at the contact point can help too.
XavierNu Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2018 8:59:29 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
gc70;43457 wrote:
The slide release on the Shield will become a little easier to use over time, but it will probably never be as easy as the one on the P250C.

A gun's recoil spring pulls the slide forward against the slide release. The stronger the recoil spring, the more effort is needed to operate the slide release.

A Shield is shorter than a P250C, meaning a Shield necessarily has a shorter recoil spring. A Shield's shorter recoil spring is probably stronger relative to its length than a P250C's recoil spring.

A Shield is striker fired while a P250C is hammer fired. The recoil spring on a hammer fired gun only has to pull the slide forward to load the next round in the chamber. The recoil spring on a striker fired gun pulls the slide forward to load a round, but it also has to be strong enough to fully or partially cock the striker. So, all other things being equal, the recoil spring on a striker-fired gun would have to be stronger than the recoil spring on a hammer-fired gun.

I'd agree with this from my days of having a shield in 40. It does break in, but be as slick as a well "loved" p250!
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm