Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Anybody online today?
Sam250C Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:24:30 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Went to the gun club today, and put another 100 rounds thru my P250C .40/357. I don't have a 357 barrel for it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get one, if this P250C keeps growing on me the way it does.

I'm not a fire and brimstone gun fanatic, although I do believe heavily in the right to carry and defend. I joined the NRA a few years ago, but am not involved beyond reading the emails from them, and keeping up with gun controversies online and in the news.

Back to the P250C. I'll be surprised if I ever do get a conversion kit. I can't see needing or wanting to take it all the way up to a full sized, or all the way down to a sub compact. I think this compact model is just right for me. The 100 rounds I put thru it today was so smooth. And reasonably accurate for a blue moon target shooter like me. Smooth, easy to handle, and I am getting accustomed to the long trigger pull. It's slow, as opposed to a striker fired pistol for rapid fire shooting, but I don't think I really need to rapid fire extremely fast. I think what I'm capable of doing naturally with the DAO action is probably fast enough for any self defense situation. Maybe not. But isn't one well placed shot usually enough? If not, I think I can squeeze that trigger fast enough to get off additional rounds.

Accuracy today was good. I stayed in the 10 yard range for all 100 rounds. 30 feet is further than most realize. But I was accurate enough that I would have done reasonably well at 50 feet too. Took my stance, and slowly staged the shots. I got better and better with staging the shots, and stayed acceptably accurate.

People are telling me the safety level with it being a DAO Hammer is of great value. It won't fail a drop test. Iv'e been hearing that the military is having a lot of issues with the P320 anyway.

So, I guess I'll hang on to my P250C, and eventually get the 357 barrel for it, so I can shoot both 40 caliber and 357 Sig. A buddy of mine told me the 357 rounds start to hurt after a while. Gotta find out for myself.
Sam

Sig P250C .40
S&W Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 3
Bulgarian Makarov 9x18
Taurus R46112 .357 Magnum
Taurus 85 .38 Special
Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Magnum
Assorted Shotguns
SCSurfer Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:29:39 PM(UTC)
SCSurfer

Man

Was thanked: 48 time(s) in 42 post(s)
You're doing the right thing w/ your P250. That DAO trigger does take a bit of getting used to, but once you're hooked, you're hooked! I have both a P320 and a P250 and I gotta tell you, I shoot more accurately with the 250. No, there isn't the same 'speed', but like you said, I'd rather be slow and accurate than fast and all over the place. While I love shooting my 320 as well, I only carry the 250. Glad to hear you're putting rounds down-range and being open to the platform. Keep at it and stay safe!
Jim

P250SC .40S&W
P320C 9mm/.40S&W
Ruger P89 9MM
Windham VEX .223
Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch 12g
Sam250C Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:37:58 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the response man. Seems like not many people are here on this forum. And for sure I've become attached to my P250.

I see your 250 is the subcompact .40? Mine is a Compact .40. I want to try the 357 barrel. You could too in your - just get the barrel and nothing else to pay for. I don't own any xchange kits.

And, as much as I'm liking the 250, I'm quite sure I'd like a 320 as well.
Sam

Sig P250C .40
S&W Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 3
Bulgarian Makarov 9x18
Taurus 85 .38 Special
Assorted Shotguns
cstone Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 4:44:56 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
One shot from a handgun is not something I would count on stopping anyone. In general, handguns are not very effective but are carried because long guns are not tolerated in polite society. With that said, the most important thing in shooting any firearm is shot placement, i.e. accuracy. From three feet away, one .22lr to the back of the head is about as lethal as anyone can be but it wouldn't really count as self defense now would it.

If you choose .40 S&W or .357 SIG, the other is an obvious complementary caliber as only a barrel swap is necessary. This is true in every handgun. I carry .357 SIG because it is given to me, but I reload and shoot far more .40 S&W as my reloads feel very similar to my carry ammunition. I can't say that anything out of a handgun, other than a few cylinders of.500 S&W has stung my hands. I did have a SIG P230 in .380 ACP that left some parallel track slices on the web of my hand but that was an oddity of that particular gun and had nothing to do with felt recoil.

Most defensive handgun shootings are within three yards, less than three rounds, and last less than three seconds. It doesn't take a lot of practice, but I always put a few strings of 3 rounds, under 3 seconds, at the 3 yard line in most range sessions. It doesn't produce tight groups but the holes are always in places that I would assume would be pretty painful if the paper target was flesh and bones. Add a step left or right on your draw and try to get all three rounds off before you have your gun fully punched out. Add two to the head after you have punched out for a total of five rounds and see if you can get them all off in under three seconds. Once you have that down, move back to the 5 yard line and repeat the string with the same time limit. Once you have that down, move back to the 7 yard line and repeat the string. Never move back until you have all five on the target, where you are aiming in under three seconds. I wouldn't go back farther than the 15 yard line until you begin adding magazine changes. Give yourself and extra 2 seconds for a magazine change.

Nothing can make the range like real life, but time, distance, and movement will help you develop good muscle memory and get you better prepared.

Enjoy! Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
gc70 Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 11, 2018 6:10:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sam250C;43449 wrote:
And, as much as I'm liking the 250, I'm quite sure I'd like a 320 as well.

I actually bought a P320 first. It did not take me long to realize that the P320's excellent trigger allowed and encouraged me to be sloppy with my trigger control. When I realized that the P250 was the exact same gun except for a long trigger stroke, I bought a P250 as a trigger trainer. After working with the P250 for a while, I realized that it made more sense (for me) as a defensive pistol than the P320.
Sam250C Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 6:12:45 AM(UTC)

gc70 - Is your P250 A compact in .40? And if so, have you tried a 357 barrel in it yet? Curiosity is nagging at me to try mine in 357. One thing I noticed, and forgot to mention is this: Shooting my P250C 40 with a two handed combat style grip (im right handed), the recoil kicks the gun out of my left hand, and I have to regrip that hand between shots.This happens with the 40s. I just noticed it this last time at the range, so it maybe something I'm doing. I hear the 357 sig rounds actually start to hurt after awhile.
Sam

Sig P250C .40
S&W Shield 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 3
Bulgarian Makarov 9x18
Taurus 85 .38 Special
Assorted Shotguns
timbermart Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 6:20:36 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 63 time(s) in 55 post(s)
Yes the 357 sig has more kick.
And flash
and its LOUD,
AnthonyC Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 7:26:40 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I have P250C and SC in .40cal and I agree that it is definitely harder to shoot the SC in the 40 ...or is it easier to shoot the Compact? ;-)
The Compact is easier to get a good two-handed grip on but, being limited to ten rounds in NY, it doesn't get me extra rounds. Therefore I did get a subcompact x-change kit for better concealment with the same number of rounds.
Lot's of people trash the .40S&W saying they have snappier recoil, it's harder to make follow up shots, wear out the gun faster,etc. Then they shoot 9mm 147gr +P or even +P+ ammo in their pistols. I can see the round count advantage but negated here in a restricted state.
I live in upstate NY near the Adirondacks and we do get some four-legged critters that can cause concern. Coyotes used to be frequent visiter at my first home. My property used to abut an old, unused 9-hole golf course that its Florida owner ignored and never mowed. There is family of coyotes that would be seen running through there and it made my wife wary when our small kids played out there. And my father-in-law near us has had a black bear in his vegetable garden and berry bushes for the first time this past year.
Heck there was even a fatal bear attack in NJ, which is much further south and supposedly less rural, a few years ago: http://www.nj.com/passai...ck_in_west_milford.html
All that is to say is that I would prefer to have a .40 at my side than a 9mm when I am in my yard or camping in the ADK. I am not saying it's a bear stopper for sure but with some Underwood or Double Tap hardcast ammo it's better than a pointy stick.
1 user thanked AnthonyC for this useful post.
Sam250C on 3/12/2018(UTC)
gc70 Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, March 12, 2018 4:58:50 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sam250C;43452 wrote:
gc70 - Is your P250 A compact in .40?

Sorry; I do not have a .40 nor have I shot one.

As to recoil kicking the gun out of your left (or support) hand, you may want to adjust your grip. Consistency is a big part of good shooting. If you lose your grip and have to re-establish your hold with your support hand after each shot, there is little chance that your are being consistent from shot to shot.