Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Need help upgrading FCU from .22 P250
MikeJackmin Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 01, 2018 9:45:16 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I am very happy with my P250, and I pretty much have all the frames and conversion kits I need. The last thing (ha!) I need to buy is a second FCU.

One big constraint that I'm working with is that my current FCU and all my grip frames are the older style, from before the updated slide release. I prefer the older style and want to stick with it.

The .22 versions are still cheap and easy to find, and it is the one remaining caliber I'd like to get. Most of the .22s use the newer slide release style, but my understanding is that even the older ones that used the old slide release were fitted with a weaker spring, that can cause unintended slide locks when subjected to the heavier recoil of other calibers. I want my new FCU to run properly with the centerfire stuff too.

So it seems I have two paths forward - the first is to find a old-style .22 and replace the spring, or to find a new gun and replace the entire slide release/spring group. My problem is that these parts are unavailable. I've seen replacement springs for the new style slide releases, but they are different from the springs for the old ones.

An idea where to find these parts? The new-style .22s are easiest to find, so the best solution would be to find the entire old-style slide release group. Absent that, just finding the spring alone would still be helpful.

Thanks!
XavierNu Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 01, 2018 10:18:42 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Wow, that does seem like a conundrum. I wish I had a good answer for you. I'm sure someone will be along soon that will have viable options. There is a user named JCRGUNS that seems to have a never ending stock of P250 pistols. I can't recall his email but if you check the classified section you come across one of his posts. Maybe he has some that can help.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

exfed2002 Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, February 02, 2018 7:12:28 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
MikeJackmin;43321 wrote:
I am very happy with my P250, and I pretty much have all the frames and conversion kits I need. The last thing (ha!) I need to buy is a second FCU.

One big constraint that I'm working with is that my current FCU and all my grip frames are the older style, from before the updated slide release. I prefer the older style and want to stick with it.

The .22 versions are still cheap and easy to find, and it is the one remaining caliber I'd like to get. Most of the .22s use the newer slide release style, but my understanding is that even the older ones that used the old slide release were fitted with a weaker spring, that can cause unintended slide locks when subjected to the heavier recoil of other calibers. I want my new FCU to run properly with the centerfire stuff too.

So it seems I have two paths forward - the first is to find a old-style .22 and replace the spring, or to find a new gun and replace the entire slide release/spring group. My problem is that these parts are unavailable. I've seen replacement springs for the new style slide releases, but they are different from the springs for the old ones.

An idea where to find these parts? The new-style .22s are easiest to find, so the best solution would be to find the entire old-style slide release group. Absent that, just finding the spring alone would still be helpful.

Thanks!

The problem you have is due to the small coil spring used on the .22 FCU slide latch and the older centerfire latches. I had to hunt around (Numrich has them at obscene prices), but you need to get the flat wire spring and button that is used in the 320. That will be strong enough to handle the recoil of both the .22 and centerfire calibers.
New SIG flat spring

The style of the latch is also changed and with the flat wire spring it rides lower so there is less chance of conflict with the barrel lug. I initially had a problem with this when I bought a .22 upper and it jammed on the old style slide latch with the higher cross piece.

If you buy a new style grip, I think they give you a slide latch and new flat spring and button.
#4 Posted : Friday, February 02, 2018 8:24:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Everyone who's changed to a new style release should have an old one in a box in their basement. Some will have more than one.

I expect some will come around here with some offers in a while.
exfed2002 Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 6:33:53 AM(UTC)

Cheap Shot;43324 wrote:
Everyone who's changed to a new style release should have an old one in a box in their basement. Some will have more than one.

I expect some will come around here with some offers in a while.

Just remember, there is the old style and there is the OLD style.

They changed the release design to have a lower crosspiece which uses the flat wire spring. It comes in both variations.

A .22 barrel lug will jam against the higher crosspiece on the original style slide releases which used a heavier coil spring.
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 7:52:02 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

exfed2002;43326 wrote:

OK so now I'm confused again.

The only slide release change that I'm aware of corresponded to a slight change to the plastic grip frames, which extended the fence around the slide release to cover all three sides, instead of just the bottom. Did they change it yet again, or was there an older change that I'd never heard of?
Bassin Buddha Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 10:14:58 AM(UTC)
Bassin Buddha

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 41 post(s)
If memory serves me right , they first change the grip to what you said . Sig then changed the slide release to a smaller and pointed forward lever like whats on the 320 like what Exfed 2002 said.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have long given up trying to be the fastest shooter.Instead I pride myself in being a deliberate shooter.
exfed2002 Offline
#8 Posted : Monday, February 05, 2018 9:50:35 AM(UTC)

MikeJackmin;43327 wrote:
exfed2002;43326 wrote:

Quote:
OK so now I'm confused again.

The only slide release change that I'm aware of corresponded to a slight change to the plastic grip frames, which extended the fence around the slide release to cover all three sides, instead of just the bottom. Did they change it yet again, or was there an older change that I'd never heard of?

OK, back around 2010/2011 the old style release (talking about the visible release part) used a chunkier coil spring that had a higher crosspiece (the part that is under the barrel lug). At some point this was changed so that the crosspiece was lower and was tensioned with a flat wire spring. It worked fine with all the 250 barrels.

I got myself a 22LR upper and first range session found that the barrel lug jammed on the higher crosspiece of the original 250 and thus was unusable. I had a 320 at the time and noticed the differences in the releases and springs. The 320 release would work with all the barrels.

I replaced the original release with the newer design using the flat wire spring and all is well.

This is something most folks don't notice since the primary emphasis has been on the new style release tab that fits the newer style grip modules, but the differences in the part go beyond that. The lower crosspiece and flat spring were in place on releases with both the old tab and the new tab.
Old Style
New Style
MikeJackmin Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 9:25:30 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Thanks.