Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

P250sc plastic guide rode broke during first range session
KJB Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2015 11:47:39 PM(UTC)

Howdy folks. I just picked up a new-in-the-box 2012 production P250sc in .380. Love the gun, both how it fits in the hand and the sweet trigger.

Unfortunately the guide rod didn't seem to love me back. I loaded up some very mild .380 rounds (95gr LRN from Missouri Bullets with 3.6gr of Unique, seated toward the long end of acceptable OAL), hung a steel target, and proceeded to break in my new pistol. A friend and I were actually patterning shotguns before that, so by the time we'd headed over to shoot the pistol, I got through only a few magazines before it became dark. I didn't notice anything amiss at the time, but back home, upon inspection I noticed that near the back end of the guide rod where it mushrooms out, the little head on it was almost completely cracked off. Yikes! I don't know what would have happened if it had busted completely. I had given the gun a once-over inspection and disassembly before taking it out to fire for the first time and it definitely had not been that way before shooting. Keep in mind, this gun was new in the box, still with the gray Sig label wrapped around the grip and the empty chamber indicator stuck into the chamber.

I called up Sig and told them as politely as I could what had happened, and also mentioned my mild surprise that the guide rod wasn't steel. The representative on the phone stated that normally the guide rod would be $4, but that he considered this a warranty matter, so he generously got my address and said he'd just send one out.

There are two problems with this: first, the guide rod from Sig is backordered, so I'll be waiting who knows how long to get it. And second, judging from the invoice I received later that day, it's going to be another plastic (or "polymer") one. I did at one point ask the Sig representative if there for sure wasn't a metal version of it, and he seemed clueless as to that possibility. After my first (and so far only) experience with the P250, I'm at a point where I would rather have a metal guide rod in there if possible. So, I went a-hunting through the vast expanse of knowledge, hearsay, and drivel that is the Internet and have come out thoroughly confused. It seems no matter which flavor of P250 we're talking about, someone on some forum somewhere has at some point claimed they received a metal guide rod in their gun from Sig, while others say their examples have plastic ones. To say nothing of recoil spring variations! But there isn't much documentation on the P250 SUBcompact in general online, and specifically with regard to guide rod dimensions. So, I've come here with three specific questions:

1) Are the dimensions of the P250 compact and subcompact guide rods the same?

If so, that would make things so much simpler because aftermarket COMPACT rods seem to be a dime a dozen. (I can't imagine they're identical, though, the compact must be longer.)
If not...

2) Do you know of anyone currently offering a metal guide rod specifically made for the P250 SUBcompact in .380?

3) Is it possible to use a different Sig model firearm's guide rod in the P250sc successfully?
I've heard rumblings that Sig has even in some cases sent out P239 metal guide rods as replacements for P250 guns, but I have not been able to determine which size of P250 that was for. Since I don't own any other Sigs, I can't just take calipers and compare the two.

If anyone out there has a P239, would you mind measuring its guide rod? I've heard similar hearsay about using a rod from the P224 in the P250sc, but that seems less likely to me.

In conclusion, I've really taken a liking to the P250 subcompact and can't wait to get it up and running again. Hopefully there's someone out there who knows of a source for an indestructible adamantium guide rod, or at least a stainless steel one. Leave it to me to fubar a pistol on the very first outing with it! Confused Bored
MikeJackmin Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 11:15:45 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Sorry to hear you had to deal with that - finding a defect in a new gun is always a major disappointment, and finding one in a defensive gun makes it just that much worse. Having to wait for the replacement part does not make it any better.

The good news, if you can call it that, is that this seems to be a pretty uncommon problem, which would explain the lack of aftermarket solutions. Plastic parts, like metal parts, will fail sometimes, and the failure usually occurs right away. A casting defect, a crack, a burr; it'll happen, infrequently, no matter how good your QC is. The correct solution is usually just to replace the defective part, upgrading it is only really necessary if the problem is widespread.

People sometimes like to replace them with metal ones on principle, but it is seldom really necessary. Plastic guide rods are in common use on many hard-hitting pistols - Glocks have been shipping with plastic rods for many years, and I've never heard of a police department that felt the need to swap them out.

I would hesitate to chop an aftermarket metal rod to fit, this might cause more problems down the road that it would prevent.

You need to be confident that your defensive gun will perform flawlessly when you need it. There is only one way to do this - take it out and shoot it, over and over, and after a few hundred rounds you'll know. I have no doubt that a dead-stock P250 .380 would be more than up for the challenge.
rambo Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 07, 2015 9:41:27 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
mtnbiker012 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2015 9:30:06 AM(UTC)
mtnbiker012

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I had heard stories about the plastic guide rods breaking - Sig sends out metal replacements for some models - sometimes they send you another plastic one.
I did some research and contacted Steve Bedair - I measured all my plastic guide rods and had him make SS replacements - the way I look at it is its cheap insurance to prevent a possible problem.

I posted his address and link to his site as well as the dimensions of the .380acp sc guide rod I had him make for me - hope this helps

Bedair Machine Works
25404 Country Club Rd.
Gladewater, Tx. 75647

http://guiderod.com/

Sig Sauer P250SC .380ACP

overall length = 2.625"

diameter = .325"

"head" diameter = .465"

"head thickness = .100"

P.S. - wow - I just checked his site and he's out of business battling cancer - hopefully the dimensions will help - sorry
Sig Sauer P250C .22LR
Sig Sauer P250C/SC .380ACP
Sig Sauer P250F/C-TB/SC 9MM
Sig Sauer P250F/C/SC .357SIG/.40S&W
Sig Sauer P250F/C/SC .45ACP
Steve40509 Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2015 5:06:21 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Sorry about your luck to the original poster.

My .45 compact guide rod is the same diameter as my .380. The .45 compact is about 3 inches long.

I'd love to pick up a stainless guide rod for both pistols, if anyone out there is in the business.

ontmark Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:10:44 PM(UTC)
ontmark

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
mtnbiker012;40538 wrote:
I had heard stories about the plastic guide rods breaking - Sig sends out metal replacements for some models - sometimes they send you another plastic one.
I did some research and contacted Steve Bedair - I measured all my plastic guide rods and had him make SS replacements - the way I look at it is its cheap insurance to prevent a possible problem.

I posted his address and link to his site as well as the dimensions of the .380acp sc guide rod I had him make for me - hope this helps

Bedair Machine Works
25404 Country Club Rd.
Gladewater, Tx. 75647

http://guiderod.com/

Sig Sauer P250SC .380ACP

overall length = 2.625"

diameter = .325"

"head" diameter = .465"

"head thickness = .100"

P.S. - wow - I just checked his site and he's out of business battling cancer - hopefully the dimensions will help - sorry

Steve Bedair has gone to the Giant Machine Shop in the Heavens to be with the Lord.
ontmark Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 11:18:38 PM(UTC)
ontmark

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)

Yes these would be were to check.