Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Just switched from wheel bearing grease to Ballistol
Joshua Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:44:05 PM(UTC)
Joshua

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
It takes too long to clean my pistols when I use the synthetic wheel bearing grease. I sound like I'm whining but I'm not, I just don't want to if I don't have to. I have done plenty of homework on Ballistol and decided to try it. Is anyone else on here using it and if so how do you like it. I run a wide variety of ammo and I shoot quite a bit (300-500 rounds a week). Not usually all through one pistol, but sometimes. I have heard that the 250 runs best on grease, I probably put 3000 rounds through it using Breakfree and didn't have an issue, I have a lot more rounds through it with grease though. Honestly, the 250 has been so reliable I almost think I could run it dry without issue. Anyway, just looking for opinions on Ballistol from people with experience.
MikeJackmin Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:55:08 PM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I like ballisol as a cleaner, and as a light duty lubricant and rust preventer. It's probably the stuff I use most.

It's not a great lubricant though, especially under heavy load. It's OK on the various internal parts but you need something heavier on the slide rails, even regular gun oil would be better choice if you don't want to use grease.

I usually use Mobil One synthetic motor oil for serious lubrication whenever grease is not desired. The synthetic does not have the awful odor that petroleum oils do, and one bottle will last you the rest of your life.
Steve in Michigan Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 11:50:32 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I use Mobil 1 for lubricating. It is unbelievably slick and seeing as I clean my guns every time after I shoot, which is about once a week, It works fantastic. I used to use Break-Free, but Mobil 1 seems to lubricate better.

Steve
MikeJackmin Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 12:57:57 PM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

I used to believe that grease was necessary on slide rails, but my opinion changed when I bought a Glock and saw their very explicit recommendation for lubrication - tip the slide up on its nose, apply one drop of oil in each slide rail groove, and let it drip down the groove to the bottom.

Glocks are no slouches for longevity and reliability.

My dissatisfaction with grease comes from the appearance of the gritty, abrasive-looking paste that seems to form no matter how little I use. It's never caused a problem, and I've never seen any signs of unusual wear, but I just don't like it. (I still think grease is best with aluminum frame guns, because, again, of the manufacturer's specific instruction).

Motor oil is really good at sticking to things and handling dirt, pressure, heat, and cold in a graceful way. It's slick and it smells faintly of candle wax. A quart of Mobil One set me back about five bucks, and at the rate I'm using it, it should last into well into the 23rd century.

I won't let it near any guns with wood stocks that might soak it up, but for something like the P250 it's perfect. The shiny parts of the barrel and slide get touched with an oil-moistened finger, and I put a drop down each slide rail groove, and that's pretty much it.

Once in a while I might hose down the FCU with an aerosol can of RemOil, which evaporates away and leaves a dry finish. I tried a wet FCU once but could not notice any improvement in the trigger pull, so why leave the oil there to collect gunk? It's not like these parts are going to wear out against one another - if anything, they will just burnish themselves a little smoother. A common trick with revolvers is to hose them down with brake cleaner, dry-fire them a few hundred times, and relube. This usually results in a noticeably smoother action.

XavierNu Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:42:55 PM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
I still use high temp bearing grease because I shoot once a week but don't clean that often. I clean everything (shot or not) every 3 range trips which my range trips only consist of 50-100 rounds. I like that fact that after three weeks I'm still cleaning off grease and even the remnants of dirty ammo just wipes right off.

All that being said, I've heard great things about Ballistol from others.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

Joshua Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:13:27 PM(UTC)
Joshua

So far so good with the Ballistol. 2 weeks and around 400 rounds through each (Shield, 250, G19, Sigma). It doesn't clean lead from the barrel very well, I'm gonna use Hoppes on the barrels of the 2 guns that eat reloads but it does clean fine on the 2 that shoot all jacketed rounds. Mike, I've thought about Mobil 1, I'm a huge fan (175,000 miles of hard use in a Wrangler and still tearing up the woods with no issues). Also did you try the brake cleaner trick with a 250? I love the trigger pull now but if that makes it better I may try it.
Evolution Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 2:52:53 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've never understood why you want the smell of grease or motor oil around you. Let alone when it gets on your clothes. I've used a lot of stuff over the past 27 years, but by far, in the modern world, Frog Lube is the best. If the world meets with disaster then of course I'll use what I can get. I can see the Mobil 1, but why put automotive grease in your weapon? It attracts and collects debris making a soupy, sludge filled mess.
ChristopherLoaf Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 6:39:53 AM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 88 post(s)
I use half Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 and AFT-4. Well, as half as I can make it. Yes it smells but only in the large quantity jar I poured it in. I use an old Ronsonol bottle to apply it and the amounts I use have no smell, not one that lingers anyway. I use Hoppes 9 to clean.
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
XavierNu Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 10:13:14 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

I don't deal with much smell either probably because the grease only goes in certain places. I use gun oil on the bulk of the pistol and "spot" grease the springs, rails and barrel contact points.

For me the jury is still out on Froglube. It's the best thing since the repeating rifle for some and others it's how a good gun goes bad. I figure living in Texas, where we haves days of winter instead of months, it would have less chance to turn into jello, but I'm still leery of trying it out.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

MikeJackmin Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2014 11:10:15 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

I use 'royal purple' grease, it has no discernible odor at all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp...0_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Mobil 1 has a faint odor but smells more like candle wax than oil.

The Ballistol smells like old socks, but the smell goes away quickly, and after a while it kind of grows on you.
Evolution Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2014 10:31:31 PM(UTC)

XavierNu;36312 wrote:
I don't deal with much smell either probably because the grease only goes in certain places. I use gun oil on the bulk of the pistol and "spot" grease the springs, rails and barrel contact points.

For me the jury is still out on Froglube. It's the best thing since the repeating rifle for some and others it's how a good gun goes bad. I figure living in Texas, where we haves days of winter instead of months, it would have less chance to turn into jello, but I'm still leery of trying it out.

Never seen nor heard of damage related to Frog Lube. It's all my P250's known and the weapon has never acted up.
XavierNu Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2014 5:09:32 PM(UTC)
XavierNu

Evolution;36337 wrote:
XavierNu;36312 wrote:

Never seen nor heard of damage related to Frog Lube. It's all my P250's known and the weapon has never acted up.

I'm a member of another Sig forum and there are a couple of folks that have reported FTF since using Froglube. They all claim to have used the product properly, but who knows really? It's said that froglube migrates to places you don't want it, sets up and then causes light primer strikes.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

Evolution Offline
#13 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:05:31 AM(UTC)

XavierNu;36347 wrote:
[quote=Evolution;36337][quote=XavierNu;36312]
I'm a member of another Sig forum and there are a couple of folks that have reported FTF since using Froglube. They all claim to have used the product properly, but who knows really? It's said that froglube migrates to places you don't want it, sets up and then causes light primer strikes.

Proper use requires all excess to be wiped off. That would leave nothing to migrate and harden. The paste is capable of hardening but the liquid acts like oil and stays in liquid form. Sounds like they're brushing the paste on to heavy, letting it cook into sensetive areas and not cleaning the excess off. Just goes to user error.
It's a product you have to follow the instructions on.
1 user thanked Evolution for this useful post.
firingline on 2/27/2014(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf Offline
#14 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 6:50:11 PM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 88 post(s)
Yeah, I was looking through that thread myself last night and went to the froglube site and read the instructions and it seems pretty easy. I dunno, I haven't used any yet. Have a Lionheart on the way though so we will see.
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
Joshua Offline
#15 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:33:40 PM(UTC)
Joshua

ChristopherLoaf;36360 wrote:
Yeah, I was looking through that thread myself last night and went to the froglube site and read the instructions and it seems pretty easy. I dunno, I haven't used any yet. Have a Lionheart on the way though so we will see.

LH9? My friend has a Smith and Wesson 5906, it's a sweet gun. Pics upon arrival?
JaPes Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 11:07:05 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Joshua;35988 wrote:
I have done plenty of homework on Ballistol and decided to try it. Is anyone else on here using it and if so how do you like it.

...Anyway, just looking for opinions on Ballistol from people with experience.

I am a part-time Ballistol user. I like that it is non-toxic. It does clean/lube/and protect, but requires longer dwell time to work. Ballistol just works as it should. The negative is the smell. Some say it smells like black licorice. I think it smells like sweaty gym bag.

My one issue with Ballistol is that it is hygroscopic. I don't use it on any firearms that I do not shoot often or are safe-queens. I only use it on those firearms that get used at least twice a month.