Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

What is your favorite ammo BRAND?
ChristopherLoaf Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 11:09:40 AM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
And, subsequently load. (ie Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HST) If you want to throw in grain go ahead. Notice....I specified brand. Therefore, there should be no debate on which caliber is best! Lol. We can have that one in another thread if somebody wants to initiate that bad boy.

Favorite can be subjective as well. Speer runs through your Glock but not your Sig? Throw that up. Ballistics of Guard Dog isn't your favorite compared to Critical Defense? I want to hear that as well!

Add range ammo at the bottom of your post. It's not quite as important as sd ammo but still matters. I'll start:

So far my favorite is based on a limited number of choices. I like Federal Hydra-Shok in 180gr. Fed well through my M&P and P250. I've shot Zombie Max and Custom XTP from Hornady and both were ok. No failures in any of them. The Federal wasn't dirty and was nice to shoot out of a compact. I have yet to try it from my full size.

Range ammo, I've only got 50 rounds of American Eagle through my dad's Glock. Shot it because that's what he had. He said it was only a little dirty. Only thing that's been through my Sig is JHP so time will tell. I just ordered 500 of Freedom Munitions 180gr round nose, flat point for a low $145 not counting shipping. Grand total was $173.50.
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
XavierNu Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 1:38:46 PM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Hornaby Critical Defense 135gr 9mm all day!

My brother swears by guard dog and that's all he runs so I plan to give it shot soon.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

ChristopherLoaf Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:06:38 PM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 87 post(s)
What my ultimate plan is to hopefully find 2-3 rounds that work through my pistol, that way if I need a box or forget to order when I run out and I (again...hopefully) can go out and pick up a couple.
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
cstone Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:18:41 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 137 time(s) in 118 post(s)
Currently the contract is providing us with Speer 125gr GDHP in .357 SIG. Previously we were issued Federal HST 125gr JHP in .357 SIG, and for a short time we received some Winchester Ranger-T 125gr JHP in .357 SIG.

I like his videos for comparisons of different types of ammunition, so I will put these links up for the two most recent types of ammunition I carry.
Speer
http://youtu.be/G5FOFnJVS0E
Federal
http://youtu.be/3kLkpIljrNA

For range work, I shoot .40 S&W, Montana Gold 155gr JHP over 7.2gr of Power Pistol. It gives me a similar felt recoil to my duty ammunition for a much more reasonable cost per round.

I've found that most name brand JHP ammunition will give you what you want as long as you can put it on your intended target. The biggest problems seems to be finding enough quality ammunition at a reasonable price. I recommend you get what you can find and afford.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
SCSurfer Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:39:56 PM(UTC)
SCSurfer

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I'm partial to Federal Premium .40S&W 180gr. Hydra Shok JHP.
Jim

P250SC .40S&W
P320C 9mm/.40S&W
Ruger P89 9MM
Windham VEX .223
Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch 12g
Joshua Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 13, 2014 9:39:15 PM(UTC)
Joshua

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
I roll with CORBON DPX 115 gr. +p in 9mm. I have fed around 300 rounds through each of my guns and haven't had an issue. Muzzle flash isn't horrible in the dark, accuracy is great from a rest (I don't shoot that way but I tested it), and it chronographs pretty much as advertised. I practice mainly with 115 gr. whatever I can get my hands on cheap, with the occasional 124 grain NATO or not just because it's there. Also Dick's Sporting Goods sells Ultramax round nose lead remanufactured rounds in a bulk 250 box for $65 that 2 of my guns feed reliably (P250 eats anything). I'm about to hand load my first 1000 rounds with hand cast bullets made with lead harvested from our indoor range. I'm curious to see and learn the process. Using Hodgdon HP-38 powder and 124 gr. bullets. If this works out to be as fun as it is cheap I will switch my defense ammo to Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. If it takes as much time as I think it will I will continue with my current system.
FatherVic Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:01:57 AM(UTC)
FatherVic

Man

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I stopped buying factory ammo more than a year ago except for personal defense; for that I'm using Hornady Critical Defense.

I do, however load some of these every once in a while for good precision rounds...

FatherVic Brand­™ Hornady XTP 185gr JHP w/ IMR 700x and CCI primers

For plinking it's Xtreme Copper Plated all day. Currently loading 200gr RN and FP with my Lee Loadmaster.

For straight-up lead rounds I'm using 230gr RN from Falcon Bullet Company here in Middle Tennessee (gots ta support those local boys when I can).
"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde
mikeee54 Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 10:16:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Hey Fathervic have you tried precision delta bullets? The price is real close to xtreme, and they are fmj. They are down in the south by you somewhere. I have used them a bunch and love them, very good quality, I am also a big user of xtreme but I do prefer the precision delta.
FatherVic Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 02, 2014 11:28:31 PM(UTC)
FatherVic

Man

mikeee54;36425 wrote:
Hey Fathervic have you tried precision delta bullets? The price is real close to xtreme, and they are fmj. They are down in the south by you somewhere. I have used them a bunch and love them, very good quality, I am also a big user of xtreme but I do prefer the precision delta.

I haven't but I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks.
"What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." - Oscar Wilde
watermelon Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, March 03, 2014 11:28:36 PM(UTC)
watermelon

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I have been loading the Xtreme Copper Plated in 124 grain 9mm and 230 45acp the xtreme plated bullets work well with no plating coming off even in some of my "hotter" loading.
FatherVic Offline
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 04, 2014 2:04:49 PM(UTC)
FatherVic

Man

I can confirm the same result with 200gr 45acp and 115,158gr 38/357. I love that they're not much more expensive than straight lead; kinda makes the decision easy.