Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
What do you use? Oil or Grease?
gabquintero Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:44:16 PM(UTC)
gabquintero

Man

So after the whole corrosion eating my gun incident :O

I went out and purchased some cleaning material. I am very interested in your opinions guys, newbie here.

I can't find a single video online comparing the two, so I purchased both.

Cleaning Kit

2AforLife Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:26:51 PM(UTC)

I use Hoppes 9 and non chlorinated brake cleaner or powder blast if i see if for a good price, to clean and just switched to frog lube but not all my guns are frog lubed yet, I dont have that much time
cstone Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:28:35 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
If it rotates, it gets oil.

If it slides, it gets grease.

No need to get fancy. One quart of synthetic motor oil will last a long time and is very effective.

I use simple white lithium grease, which can be found in any auto parts store or the auto parts section of WalMart.

There are lots of products out there. Find the ones that work well for you and fit your budget. Don't use WD-40 on your guns.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9, all make good cleaners and don't cost a lot of money. Another option if you want to brew up some of your own on the cheap would be Ed's Red - http://www.handloads.com...ticles/default.asp?id=9 Warning, it isn't something I would use without good ventilation but it does a great job of cutting any leading or copper fouling in a barrel.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
5 users thanked cstone for this useful post.
gabquintero on 1/29/2013(UTC), Onramp on 1/29/2013(UTC), gfroniewski on 2/11/2013(UTC), oldtexan on 2/4/2014(UTC), Tadeusz on 8/19/2015(UTC)
gabquintero Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:23:41 PM(UTC)
gabquintero

Man

Originally Posted by: cstone Go to Quoted Post
If it rotates, it gets oil.

If it slides, it gets grease.

No need to get fancy. One quart of synthetic motor oil will last a long time and is very effective.

I use simple white lithium grease, which can be found in any auto parts store or the auto parts section of WalMart.

There are lots of products out there. Find the ones that work well for you and fit your budget. Don't use WD-40 on your guns.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9, all make good cleaners and don't cost a lot of money. Another option if you want to brew up some of your own on the cheap would be Ed's Red - http://www.handloads.com...ticles/default.asp?id=9 Warning, it isn't something I would use without good ventilation but it does a great job of cutting any leading or copper fouling in a barrel.

Be safe.

Thanks for the reply, could you be a bit more specific? hehe
davidcolebrooks Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:48:43 PM(UTC)
davidcolebrooks

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
cleaner:
Hoppes #9

Lubricant/cleaner/rust protection:
http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

Best of the best Grease:
http://www.brianenos.com/store/slide-glide.html

Respectful spirited debate is a gentlemen's sport. Keep it classy.
cstone Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:48:47 AM(UTC)
cstone

Originally Posted by: gabquintero Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply, could you be a bit more specific? hehe

I clean guns when they need it, not like they are surgical implements. At least once each year, I will detail strip the gun into it's metal parts and plastic parts. Metal parts will sit in a tub of mineral spirits for an hour and plastic parts will get washed with dish soap. Everything is brushed clean with a toothbrush or rag. The bore will get a few swipes with a nylon brush, followed with some dry patches on a jag. Once the bore is clean and dry, I will run one patch lightly coated in oil down the barrel. The ouside of the barrel will get some oil on the barrel and locking lug, not the chamber area. All of the springs will get a finger of oil wiped on them. The slide rails will get a dab of grease. I will cycle the handgun several times to work the grease into the slide rails. The exterior of the pistol will then be wiped down to get any excess grease or oil off. The gun is then stored in it's holster or case.

For quick cleaning, I will field strip and spray the metal with brake cleaner or toothbrush with Hoppes. Clean the bore of the barrel as stated above and lube as stated above and store as stated above.

AK's are actually easier to clean during warm weather. I have polymer furniture on my AK's and I live in a sunny, dry climate. I field strip them and use a garden hose, followed with hot water and dish washing liquid. Sun dry for about an hour, wipe down and lubricate with motor oil.

If I don't have time to clean, I will spray the weapon down with some canned, compressed air, wipe with a rag and lubricate.

These are tools. The high stress areas are made of heavy duty metal designed to withstand high temperature and extreme pressure. With proper lubrication, they will provide good service for tens of thousands of rounds. Once in a while a spring will break or a small part will need to be replaced. Over cleaning has ruined more barrels than shooting. Always clean from the breach. Use a good, one piece coated or carbon cleaning rod, and don't get obsessive about cleaning. For most guns, lubrication is more important than cleanliness. Some guns work best wet, but most modern semi-auto handguns just need enough lubrication so that you can see that it is present, not enough that it runs or drips. Over time, you will see where the gun needs lubrication. Metal on metal contact becomes obvious when parts begin to shine. Barrel smilies are an obvious example of this. Oil on the barrel helps but will not prevent this. It is natural and will not harm or cause the weapon to malfunction.

Just enjoy shooting the gun. If you enjoy cleaning, great, but most of us clean to shoot, not shoot to clean.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
2 users thanked cstone for this useful post.
gfroniewski on 2/11/2013(UTC), oldtexan on 2/4/2014(UTC)
chrish Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:53:58 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I just use Break-Free Powder Blast for the places lub is bad (striker channel mostly) and then Break-Free CLP to do everything else. After a total cleaning and wipe down, some Tetra gun grease on the rails. Done.

Walmart sells the Break-Free products. Tetra is available online and many/most gun shops.

Hematite Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:09:14 AM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have 2 questions about cleaning.

cstone: oil the outside of the barrel but not the chamber area? From what I see on the chamber area a wear pattern develops on the top of this area. A wear pattern indicates the need for lubrication.

What about cleaning the firing pin area inside the slide? Doesn't this need cleaning and some lubricant to stop corrosion?
NRA Endowment Life member.
NYSRPA Life member.
chrish Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:42:38 AM(UTC)

Usually lubricant is bad in the firing pin area (my comment about the striker channel, which is incorrect w/ regard to the Sig, more of a general statement on my part). But lub in that area can eventually gunk things up and cause a problem (light strikes, etc). That's where I use a non-lubricant cleaner like the Break-Free powder blast I mentioned.

I do actually put a little grease on the barrel, rails, and barrel lug areas where there is movement or two parts in contact, so yes...
Triought Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 1:16:56 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I use eezox and TW25B.
cstone Offline
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:29:43 PM(UTC)
cstone

Originally Posted by: Hematite Go to Quoted Post
I have 2 questions about cleaning.

cstone: oil the outside of the barrel but not the chamber area? From what I see on the chamber area a wear pattern develops on the top of this area. A wear pattern indicates the need for lubrication.

What about cleaning the firing pin area inside the slide? Doesn't this need cleaning and some lubricant to stop corrosion?

I don't normally put oil on exposed areas of a handgun. The block shaped, chamber area of the barrel is exposed on two sides when the barrel is in battery. Oil attracts dust and dirt and for the small amount of wear on the top of the chamber area, I prefer it dry. The outside of the barrel is inside the slide and has some contact (mostly the top of the barrel) with the slide which creates the barrel smiles. If I was short on oil, that would probably be the area I would let go dry. The barrel lug definitely needs a quick swipe of oil.

Primers and oil do not mix. For that reason, I have always kept oil/grease away from firing pins. The channel where the firing pin resides is not very exposed and if it is kept clean it shouldn't give you any problems either with gunk or corrosion. If you get some light surface rust anywhere on an everyday carry gun, a little Hoppes on some denim will take it off.

When I lived in Alabama and on the east coast, I used more lubrication than I do now living in Colorado. If you find something that works better for you and your guns, by all means, go with what works.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
roadkill46 Offline
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:21:38 PM(UTC)
roadkill46

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
brake cleaner
mobile 1 in a syringe
axle grease on a q tip
proper sized bore snake

that's it.

clean when needed, not after every outing.
"The Brain is an entity unto itself. It can make Heaven into Hell, and Hell into Heaven." Milton
bgstrain Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 12:38:17 PM(UTC)
bgstrain

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Well I guess I'm cleaning my gun to often? I've cleaned it after every shooting (50 rounds - 200+). Is this to much? Does that cause an issue or just overkill? How many rounds would you (anyone) recommend before cleaning?
davidcolebrooks Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 1:02:23 PM(UTC)
davidcolebrooks

Originally Posted by: bgstrain Go to Quoted Post
Well I guess I'm cleaning my gun to often? I've cleaned it after every shooting (50 rounds - 200+). Is this to much? Does that cause an issue or just overkill? How many rounds would you (anyone) recommend before cleaning?

I see no problem if you like to keep your guns SUPER CLEAN, but too much oil or grease could attract dirt.

Regarding shooting techniques I’m always looking for what works best, I have no dogmas, but regarding cleaning guns I’m old school: keep your guns clean, clean your guns every time after shooting. Glock type guns (less surfaces that suffer friction) and AKs are VERY, VERY tolerant, but I clean every gun after shooting anyway. I also take a bath every 6 months even if I don’t need it LOL

chrish Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 2:42:56 PM(UTC)

I think MOST folks are going to say exactly what davidcolebrooks said, clean them with every range trip. If you don't shoot that often, clean them every few months for a number of reasons, familiarity, inspection, working order, ready to go. I saw a survey once and this was well over 90% of the people. There are always exceptions. You are busy, planning multiple range trips over the course of a week or two, then maybe don't worry about it. But for the most part, cleaning with every trip to the range is the minimum most folks do.

I keep my guns cleaned, lubricated, but not really 'wet'...just coated lightly where it matters and then wipe the exterior down.
bgstrain Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 4:57:55 PM(UTC)
bgstrain

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Great, thanks all. Makes me feel better cause I really enjoy it all. Nothing like going to the range for a few hours and coming home and cleaning it. Got to get my CHL (soon) so I don't have to leave it LOL
davidcolebrooks Offline
#17 Posted : Friday, February 01, 2013 5:19:59 PM(UTC)
davidcolebrooks

Great, thanks all. Makes me feel better cause I really enjoy it all. Nothing like going to the range for a few hours and coming home and cleaning it. Got to get my CHL (soon) so I don't have to leave it LOL

Cleaning a gun after shooting it is like petting a lady after making love to her Wink

gabquintero Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:58:23 PM(UTC)
gabquintero

Man

Originally Posted by: davidcolebrooks Go to Quoted Post

Cleaning a gun after shooting it is like petting a lady after making love to her Wink

Hehe LOL
roadkill46 Offline
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:53:34 AM(UTC)
roadkill46

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
or petting my dog after i give it a bath.....................
"The Brain is an entity unto itself. It can make Heaven into Hell, and Hell into Heaven." Milton
gfroniewski Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 1:40:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I use all the Hoppe's stuff with both a bore snake and a regular brush. What is the difference between gun grease and oil? Is it bad to use Hoppe's gun oil on my slide?