Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is the P250 all but dead?
DAOLover Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2019 1:22:08 PM(UTC)

New guy here but I can't help but notice how little activity there is here. For the last 5 years or so I've strictly carried a P250 daily. I love DAO auto-pistols and think there are several good reasons for them to exist. Unfortunately both manufacturers and consumers don't see the value in those reasons and it appears that the P250 is rapidly headed towards obsolescence. My subcompact 9mm exhibits light primer strikes regularly and has caused me to lose confidence in my P250s. It's hard to muster up enthusiasm to spend $90+ on parts to repair a $250 pistol. In my opinion the P250 was indeed the PERFECT carry gun and the modularity of the pistol just added to its appeal. If I had to design the perfect pistol the P250 would be it! I suppose my task now is to find a DAO auto-pistol that is current and with parts are available and that doesn't suffer from premature parts wear and costly parts replacement like the P250. What are y'all gonna do with your P250s...keep fixing them and shoot them or look for an alternative?
SCSurfer Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2019 5:42:26 PM(UTC)
SCSurfer

Man

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I bought a 'kit' of replacement parts a few years ago, enough to replace the moving parts in the FCU and the recoil spring assembly x2. I don't recall paying more than about $50 at the time, but I'm set for the near future. Put between 15k and 18k rounds through it (and counting) and no problems yet (mine is the .40 sub-compact). I plan to run mine until it quits working (hopefully after I've slipped the surly bonds).
Like you, this is my carry gun and I love it... straight up tack hammer.
Jim

P250SC .40S&W
P320C 9mm/.40S&W
Ruger P89 9MM
Windham VEX .223
Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch 12g
Cheap Shot Offline
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 09, 2019 11:36:11 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Yep. The greatest carry gun in the world but not worth fixing. Might as well just send it to me.

I would clean the firing pin channel, clean and lube everything concerning the hammer, and then consider a new hammer spring.
DAOLover Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 09, 2019 2:50:24 PM(UTC)

Cheap Shot;44281 wrote:
Yep. The greatest carry gun in the world but not worth fixing. Might as well just send it to me.

I would clean the firing pin channel, clean and lube everything concerning the hammer, and then consider a new hammer spring.

That would seem the obvious answer but your fix wouldn't fix anything and you'd still have a non-working pistol. The hammer bar, hammer and bizarrely named safety lever on the first generation pistols are faulty by design and no amount of cleaning or lubing will fix it. After just a short period of wear the hammer bar begins periodically dropping the hammer before the hammer spring is fully compressed. It's difficult to detect. The parts must be changed out to the second generation if you want reliability. Hopefully the parts are still available and if so at a price that makes sense to repair. I'm not holding out much hope. I have a message in to SIG right now awaiting a reply. I'll keep this post updated.