Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Grapevine, TX
cstone Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, March 05, 2018 8:43:53 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
And once again I find myself in Grapevine, TX. Near the Mills Mall for those of you familiar. This used to be at a minimum a yearly pilgrimage to see my immediate supervisors, however for the past few years they have swapped this required trip for an alternate location in Charleston, SC. And not a nice part of Charleston as there is absolutely nothing tourist worthy where we go in Charleston. Mad

This time, I have been fortunate enough that my supervisors didn't care whether I drove or flew and driving is always my preference, so after 13 hours of driving, I have arrived.

I know there are some North Dallas members here on the board and besides Grab a Gun, does anyone have any preferred gun stores in the area I should check out? I'm not looking for anything in particular but lots of inventory and good prices would be a bonus. I am looking for some more G17 magazines but hate to pay full retail so Cabela's or Bass Pro are out.

If you ever find yourself in Denver, I would be happy to point you at a few of our LGS depending on what you are looking for. BigGrin

Cheers
adepto super vestri ego
1 user thanked cstone for this useful post.
XavierNu on 3/6/2018(UTC)
JPD Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 12:56:42 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I am here in Arlington. Do not have any retailers in the DFW that I shop. Prices for the most part are full MSRP. I buy mags from mag warehouse online. Firearms online. Or used on Texas Gun Trader, online person to person.

We are having a gun show in Fort Worth this weekend. There has been occasions I ran across good prices.
1 user thanked JPD for this useful post.
cstone on 3/6/2018(UTC)
XavierNu Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 11:37:54 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 110 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Welcome back to the metroplex! I'm typing this from my office in Coppell, Tx!

I wish I had a great lil honey hole to direct you to, but as JPD said MSRP is the word around here. It's like buying pickups in Texas, the demand is constantly high so competitive pricing is a foreign concept. Cursing

Case in point, Sig mags are almost always stickered at $50+ and I've had guys at Grab a Gun quietly tell me to buy mags and ammo elsewhere.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

cstone Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 06, 2018 8:09:09 PM(UTC)
cstone

So I stopped by Dallas Gun Source in Carrollton. http://www.dallasgunsourceonline.com/

A very nice, small gun store with an odd history. The owners and many of the employees at this Digital Printing company all enjoy firearms. Once upon a time there was an LGS across the street and the owners and employees would frequent the shop. Time goes by and the elderly proprietor of the LGS decides to call it a day but the crew at Digital couldn't stand to lose their favorite neighborhood LGS. So they buy all the stock and move the store inside the building housing the printing business. No real signage out front, just a web site and word of mouth.

Very nice shop with an interesting gentleman behind the counter. Pretty decent selection of handguns of all makes and calibers as well as long guns, rifles and shotguns. I wouldn't go there bargain hunting, as they know the value of what they have. I found the prices were fair and some of the used firearms were well priced and not what I would expect to find in a smaller shop.

If you find yourself near Wiley Post Rd. in Carrollton, TX, check them out and post back here to let me know what you think to give me a better idea on how the place compares to other local shops.

Shooting at Elm Fork tomorrow morning. http://www.elmfork.com/ I don't know why the office chose this range, and I've never shot there before. It should be interesting. I will post my impressions of the place after we are done.

Anyone else shoot here before? Any other local places you would recommend? Outdoor, 5 or preferably 10 lanes, out to 50 yards/meters, pistol, service rifle sight in, and tactical shotgun.
adepto super vestri ego
XavierNu on 3/8/2018(UTC)
cstone Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 07, 2018 6:45:24 PM(UTC)
cstone

Elm Fork Range is convenient to the north Dallas metroplex, but not the nicest range I've ever shot on. It looks like they have a regular problem with standing water and although the range was pretty dry today, the back stop was mostly mud with indications that it regularly flowed onto the close in portions (1.5, 3, 7 yard lines). We shot on the pistol range closest to the gate which had about 12 lanes to a max distance of 25 yards. Fine for regular requals but not long enough for any long guns or longer pistol work. The target hangers were pretty rough but getting replaced when we finished. Some of the screw stops for the hangers were missing or rusted but we were able to get them moving with pliers.

I don't know what the costs are at Elm Fork. It didn't open to the public till noon and we were leaving just prior to the range opening which made it easy to set up some steel and do some dynamic shooting. I would go back but probably also keep looking for other ranges which might offer some longer ranges.

If you have shot at Elm Fork, I would like to hear what you think and also hear about any other ranges in the area.

Weather was nice in Dallas but I'm looking forward to being back in Denver. BigGrin

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
XavierNu on 3/8/2018(UTC)
XavierNu Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 08, 2018 10:10:22 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Sounds like overall your brief stay among the Texans was fair to Midland...BigGrin

Safe travels!
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

cstone Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 11:58:27 AM(UTC)
cstone

XavierNu;43440 wrote:
Sounds like overall your brief stay among the Texans was fair to Midland...BigGrin

Safe travels!

Thank you.

I drove back yesterday. Stopped at the OKC bombing memorial and Dorothy's House in Liberal, KS. I was just a bit late to visit the Sand Creek Massacre site as it was getting dark going through Sheridan Lake, CO.

If I ever buy land in TX it will be in the Waco or Abilene areas. Too much traffic in the metroplex for me. A coworker was telling me about his goat farm near Stephenville, TX and it sounded nice. He just keeps the goats for the ag exemption and they are pretty low maintenance.

I am fortunate to have left the east coast and don't see a reason why I would ever live there again. Going west was the best decision I've made career wise.
adepto super vestri ego
XavierNu Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, March 09, 2018 2:16:43 PM(UTC)
XavierNu

First it's hard to believe anyone stops in Liberal, KS on purpose! LOL I spent more time in that smelly place back in my oilfield days!

And you're right on point with living outside the metroplex. The traffic is awful. I live on the west side of Ft Worth and commute to Coppell when not traveling and it makes me wish for 75-100% travel months here and there! Cursing

I've actually been half ass looking for a piece of land, mainly for private range and to retire to when the time comes. Prices are definitely climbing and even in Texas it's harder to find areas where city or county ordinances don't make it really hard to shoot anything center fire without having to explain it to the law on a daily basis. So much for the good ole days I guess, but you'll still be hard pressed to get me out of Texas.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm