Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Odd Question: What Does Real Gunfire Sound Like?
HarryJenkins Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 5:10:08 AM(UTC)

HI,
I live in a neighborhood around which hearing the sound of gunfire would not be unusual. Unfortunately, at least for the few days before and after the fourth of July, neither would hearing the sound of firecrackers. Or car backfires, for that matter.

Mr MLO has tried to explain how real gunfire sounds different from firecrackers, but I still don't think I can hear the difference. Is there a (reputable, trusted, i.e. non-bogus) site that has audio of different kinds of gun fire on the intertubes? I know I could Google "gunfire audio" but I don't have a way of checking if the sounds are legit.

Or, for those of you Arsians who are also gun savvy, feel free to try to better describe the difference between the sound of firecrackers/backfires and gunfire.
Thanks

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
https://arstechnica.com/...viewtopic.php?t=1130322

Online Promotional Examples
MikeJackmin Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 9:08:51 AM(UTC)
MikeJackmin

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Identifying sounds can be tricky; the sound waves reflect off of various surfaces and recombine in strange ways, and it can be deceptive even to an experienced listener.

Depending on the gun, the bullet might be supersonic, and if it is, the associated 'crack' is fairly distinctive. Car backfires, firecrackers and so on don't have this same characteristic. If you can imagine the combined sounds of a firecracker's boom and a whip cracking, you'll have some idea of how it sounds.

It's hard to get the correct experience from your computer though. Once a sound has been recorded, processed, and they played back through your speakers, it's going to sound quite a bit different that it would in real life.
cstone Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 03, 2018 9:04:22 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 119 post(s)
The sound of gun fire depends on; the type of gun. ammunition, location of the gun, and the location of the hearer in relation to the gun. The report sounds much different to the shooter than it does to someone down range as the round goes by. Even changes in the humidity, temperature, and density altitude will change the sound of a gunshot. An example is the difference in sound in sub-sonic vs super-sonic ammunition. The same ammunition shot out of a 20" barrel when compared to a 5" barrel can be extreme in apparent difference. A gunshot in an open field vs the same gunshot in an alleyway closely surrounded by masonry buildings will also produce a much different sound to the hearer.

Given the task of differentiating between fireworks, backfiring vehicles and gunshots, I wouldn't be certain which was which unless I was able to see the source.
adepto super vestri ego