Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
What do you use? Oil or Grease?
davidcolebrooks Offline
#21 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 2:11:06 PM(UTC)
davidcolebrooks

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 27 post(s)
gfroniewski;29616 wrote:
I use all the Hoppe's stuff with both a bore snake and a regular brush. What is the difference between gun grease and oil? Is it bad to use Hoppe's gun oil on my slide?

Is it bad? No.

What's the difference? Grease does not lick. Other considerations depend on the quality of the specific product.

If you use grease, I recommend Brian Enno’s Slide-Glide if you want the best of the best. Other great product Eezox (not grease).

Respectful spirited debate is a gentlemen's sport. Keep it classy.
gfroniewski Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:37:42 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
davidcolebrooks;29618 wrote:
gfroniewski;29616 wrote:
I use all the Hoppe's stuff with both a bore snake and a regular brush. What is the difference between gun grease and oil? Is it bad to use Hoppe's gun oil on my slide?

Is it bad? No.

What's the difference? Grease does not lick. Other considerations depend on the quality of the specific product.

If you use grease, I recommend Brian Enno’s Slide-Glide if you want the best of the best. Other great product Eezox (not grease).

Someone posted earlier saying "if it rotates, us oil. if it slides, use grease."
Evolution Offline
#23 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 12:27:55 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Motor oil and axel grease, interesting. I used to use Hoppe's, but only Frog Lube now. Used a lot of things over the years, lots of brands. Frog Lube is by far the best I've seen. I clean my weapons after the range and that's it. I've not had any corrosion after rain, snow or the high humidity we have. My sidearm is subjected directly to it all.
DrDenby Offline
#24 Posted : Sunday, August 02, 2015 9:23:03 PM(UTC)

I noticed you have a bottle of the hoppes9 regular bore cleaner with the lubes.

Just a heads up. Sig tech support says NOT to use it. the synthetic is ok, not regular

Doc
Tadeusz Offline
#25 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:20:15 PM(UTC)

I use white lithium grease, so far works very good in revolvers and autoloaders.
rambo Offline
#26 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:14:13 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
DrDenby;40366 wrote:
I noticed you have a bottle of the hoppes9 regular bore cleaner with the lubes.

Just a heads up. Sig tech support says NOT to use it. the synthetic is ok, not regular

Doc

Sig says don't use Hoppe's 9 on their guns? Crying Is that somewhere on their web site?

rambo
DocLRRP Offline
#27 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2015 3:08:54 PM(UTC)

For me, on all of my Sigs it is Slip 2000. I have begun to use their 30w as the stuff stays where you put it.
I grease the rails on all of my classic P series Sigs ( 226, 239, 220) but fot the 250 pistols, oil/
it seems to work for me.
Be well
ontmark Offline
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:36:13 PM(UTC)
ontmark

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 26 post(s)
cstone;28913 wrote:
If it rotates, it gets oil.

If it slides, it gets grease.

No need to get fancy. One quart of synthetic motor oil will last a long time and is very effective.

I use simple white lithium grease, which can be found in any auto parts store or the auto parts section of WalMart.

There are lots of products out there. Find the ones that work well for you and fit your budget. Don't use WD-40 on your guns.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner, mineral spirits, Hoppes #9, all make good cleaners and don't cost a lot of money. Another option if you want to brew up some of your own on the cheap would be Ed's Red - http://www.handloads.com...ticles/default.asp?id=9 Warning, it isn't something I would use without good ventilation but it does a great job of cutting any leading or copper fouling in a barrel.

Be safe.

What he said
Rotating parts get oil.
Sliding parts get grease.

these are mostly for SIG Classic Pistols but it is a place to start and from the manufacture.

http://www.sigsauer.com/...e/MaintenanceGuides.aspx
RebelRouser Offline
#29 Posted : Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:27:25 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use CLP and Balistol. Although I do love the smell of Hoppes #9. I use grease and lube minimally. My firearms are a utility and keep them fresh and ready for there need is. OCD drives me to not delve too far into the grease/lube as I can't stop with just a sit-n-stow.