Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Trouble with that first round
Shojikitsune Offline
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:05:25 AM(UTC)
Shojikitsune

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Specifically, using Hornady Custom .40 loads, when I insert a full magazine and try to rack the slide on an empty chamber, I can only pull it back about halfway and it stops like it is catching on something. The slide doesn't move back far enough to chamber a round. If I lock the slide back, insert the magazine and use the slide release or pull the slide back to release, it chambers the round just fine.

Since my pistol came with 3 magazines (lucky deal) I have tried this with all 3 of them. It happens with all of them. I didn't run into this issue with Blazer ammo at my local range. I haven't had any problems like this with the Hornady loads once I can get one in the chamber. It *only* happens in the above circumstances.

Again, I have a SC .40 if it makes any difference.
Anyone ever experience this with their P250?

It's just curious, since there's a simple workaround of locking the slide back and then inserting the magazine.

Also, I had to *add* "Hornady" to the spellchecker dictionary.... the shame.
ChristopherLoaf Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:58:38 AM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 88 post(s)
That's crazy. I've never heard of something like that before. That's almost like a weird 1911 problem. I typically run Hornady Custom XT which is an out dated albeit consistent round. Any other ammo do that?
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
Photoman Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:15:19 AM(UTC)
Photoman

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Try downloading the magazine by one round and see how it goes. Sometimes new(er) mags have a lot of spring pressure and can press the top round against the slide to such a degree that it makes the slide hard to operate.
XavierNu Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:40:24 AM(UTC)
XavierNu

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 103 post(s)
Photoman;38570 wrote:
Try downloading the magazine by one round and see how it goes. Sometimes new(er) mags have a lot of spring pressure and can press the top round against the slide to such a degree that it makes the slide hard to operate.

+1

When my 40C was new it was hard to chamber with a full magazine with all types of ammo. Granted I could get it done but is was considerably harder than any other pistol I'd handled. Now it's smooth as silk.
P250C .40 S&W
P250SC 9MM
P250C/SC .380 ACP
P228 III S/N :p
P239 SAS .40 S&W
P320SC 9mm

Shojikitsune Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:31:07 PM(UTC)
Shojikitsune

ChristopherLoaf;38569 wrote:
That's crazy. I've never heard of something like that before. That's almost like a weird 1911 problem. I typically run Hornady Custom XT which is an out dated albeit consistent round. Any other ammo do that?

Not so far - the CCI Blazer stuff the range sells chambered whether I racked the slide after or locked it back before inserting the magazine, using all 3 magazines. No problems. Haven't tested this issue with another brand of ammo, but I will. Plenty of choices out there.

Photoman;38570 wrote:

I have been doing this with the 14-round magazines, round 14 is such a knuckle buster that I basically gave up trying to get it into the magazine. The 10-shot mag loads easily though. I will try it with 9. I will also go the other route, get a mag loader like the uplulua and see if 14 rounds also causes this issue.

XavierNu;38574 wrote:
Photoman;38570 wrote:

+1

When my 40C was new it was hard to chamber with a full magazine with all types of ammo. Granted I could get it done but is was considerably harder than any other pistol I'd handled. Now it's smooth as silk.

Good to know - I suspect the previous owner (mine's a used gun)didn't have it for a long enough time to smooth out the minor kinks. Then again, I don't know how many owners the gun has had. I remain optimistic that I'll work things out. it's still completely reliable one I have that first round in the pipe.

I guess I am concerned slightly that whatever is stopping the slide when racking it that first time *might* somehow affect the pistol while firing, causing a failure to eject/feed. Important to note that this hasn't happened, but my personal round count is only up to 140 (Can't spend a lot of $$ at the range just yet) - 2 boxes of the CCI aluminum cased 180 grain tmj and 2 boxes of Hornady's Custom XTP loads. Again, no idea of the total round count, but the barrel's got beautiful smilies on it from firing. Not sure how many rounds it takes to wear the finish off a SIG P250 barrel. The world may never know... lol.

Thanks, everyone.
Joshua Offline
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:01:16 PM(UTC)
Joshua

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 25 post(s)
3 BigGrin

Don't run that ammo, that ought to solve your problem.

Check this out and try one of his recommendations.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo.../Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Shojikitsune Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2017 8:40:38 AM(UTC)
Shojikitsune

Joshua;38591 wrote:
3 BigGrin

Don't run that ammo, that ought to solve your problem.

Check this out and try one of his recommendations.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo.../Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

Yeah, after more than a year of trying different things, I keep coming back to a good solution, WWB 180 grain JHPs. I believe that they are an older HP, but I can get consistant 9-ring shots at social distances. That's the most important bit, I hear. BigGrin

Doesn't hurt that I can practice with the carry load.