Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Jamming with .40 ammo! I fixed mine with this DIY trick
peaceloveingsigstrapping Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2016 11:24:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was having jams with certain defensive ammo. They were failure to feeds, where the round was getting stuck partway in, and stopping the slide. the reason they were getting stuck, was the slightly thicker casing on some rounds was hanging up on a sharpish edge on the upper part of the chamber. the edge wasn't really SHARP, it just wasn't rounded. I am not a gunsmith, but i understand mechanical things and i like to fix stuff. Do these repairs at your own risk.
I have been reading about this issue happening on sig sauers .40 barrels specifically. The way i fixed it, was by taking some 400 grit sand paper and wrapping it around a pencil eraser, and then going to town on the edge that the casings were hanging up on. its the surface leading into the chamber, there are three angles going on there. theres the flat part which is at a 90 degree angle to the chamber, theres the next part which is at a 45 degree angle to the chamber, and then you are in the chamber. The edge im talking about is the one on the chamber side of the 45 degree angle. if you take your barrel out, and hold a round in your hand, you can point it up as you slide it into the chamber (like it would do when feeding). you will see where its sticking, and thats where you round off with the sandpaper. use 400 grit, then go to 600, then 800, then 1200. switch from 400 to 6 or 800 when the casing no longer catches on that edge. then load it up, and go to the range. you will be a happy camper. I fixed 3 .40 cal barrels this way so far, and each of them has functioned with EVERYTHING we put through them since. Makes me annoyed at sig for letting these barrels come out of their factory like this... it wouldn't take much to fix them during assembly. and now people think that their pistols suck because they wont feed everything people put in them.
Feel free to ask me questions.
Be safe
1 user thanked peaceloveingsigstrapping for this useful post.
AnthonyC on 10/11/2016(UTC)
AnthonyC Offline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:00:59 PM(UTC)

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Good to know. I just got a P250 Compact and haven't had any trouble yet but I will keep this in mind.
RebelRouser Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 09, 2017 4:34:11 PM(UTC)

Man

I found that a little Mothers polish and a qtip in those areas smoothed out.