Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Also, the XTP.
Shojikitsune Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 3:41:49 PM(UTC)
Shojikitsune

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
One of the LGS has these for $18/20 rounds in 40 SW 155 grain. Hope they are a good choice, I bought 1 box today and may go back. Opinions on this round in the P250?
cstone Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 4:27:26 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 119 post(s)
I have bought and reloaded 155 gr XTP bullets when I can trade or get them at a reasonable price. I normally save them for the nickel plated brass and keep them in my long term stash.

I don't carry reloads but do keep a percentage of my reloads in reserve for the inevitable dry spells when things are scarce.

The XTP bullets shoot about as well as my Montana Gold bullets, and in a pinch, I would carry them if nothing else was available.

I've never bought factory loaded XTP ammunition, so no help there.

This data is a bit old, but the XTP has been around for a while, so I would assume the bullets will perform about the same as indicated in the charts: http://www.firearmstacti.../ammo_data/40s&w.htm
adepto super vestri ego
1 user thanked cstone for this useful post.
Shojikitsune on 4/18/2014(UTC)
Shojikitsune Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:23:35 AM(UTC)
Shojikitsune

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
cstone;37379 wrote:
I have bought and reloaded 155 gr XTP bullets when I can trade or get them at a reasonable price. I normally save them for the nickel plated brass and keep them in my long term stash.

I don't carry reloads but do keep a percentage of my reloads in reserve for the inevitable dry spells when things are scarce.

The XTP bullets shoot about as well as my Montana Gold bullets, and in a pinch, I would carry them if nothing else was available.

I've never bought factory loaded XTP ammunition, so no help there.

This data is a bit old, but the XTP has been around for a while, so I would assume the bullets will perform about the same as indicated in the charts: http://www.firearmstacti.../ammo_data/40s&w.htm

Thanks for the link. Looks like the XTP is good but not great. My current home defense strategy is to retreat to main rear bedroom. Since the XTP was designed to penetrate, it's good to know that my backstop is the brick rear wall of a strip mall. Furthermore, I live alone, so that's less of an issue. As long as that plan survives contact. I don't have a carry strategy yet, mostly because I work in a gun-free zone and take the bus. Once I finish school, I will try to find an employer that allows ccw, and will make enough to justify a car.

Reloading may be in the cards soon, once I get things better organized around here. Considering a Lee hand press due to space/work area constraints. Considering a LOT of things, actually - like how am I going to afford this here shooting hobby? LOL
cstone Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:46:11 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 138 time(s) in 119 post(s)
Training trumps gear. Save your money and dry fire... a lot.

Any decent Federal, Winchester, Speer, Remington JHP in 155, 165 or 180 will do just fine for self defense. The bullet (gear) means nothing if you aren't able to consistently put it into a 4" circle at 7 yards (training).

Take your time and you will accumulate all the gear you need an lots you don't. Training will bring experience. Once you have developed to the standard you set for yourself, increase your standards.

When I don't train, I lose what little skill I've acquired over the years.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
2 users thanked cstone for this useful post.
Shojikitsune on 4/20/2014(UTC), Ecosse on 5/8/2014(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:41:02 AM(UTC)
ChristopherLoaf

Man

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 88 post(s)
My current .40 load right now is factory loaded XTP 180gr. Shoots light and I've never had a problem with it. (never had a problem with any Hornady stuff actually) This is the 2nd time I've carried it and when it was time to shoot it off for carrying it too long, it worked great.

It's not the best load out there but at it's price when you find the right price you can't beat it.

I usually use speer or a higher grade Hornady but in my .40 kit, I've run at least a hundred of each of these without hiccups:

Hornady- XTP, Critical Defense, Critical Duty, and Zombie Maxx.

Federal- American Eagle FMJ, Premium, HydraShok, and I think like 50 rounds of a box that said Government load or FBI load or something. First JHP, I shot out of the gun actually before putting in XTP. (first I carried ever)

Speer Gold Dot

Remington - Golder Saber though this was also only about 50 rounds now that I'm thinking about it because it was one box.

Freedom Munitions- FMJ. 400+ rounds of this so far and ONE hiccup and I'm counting that due to limp wristing because I was shooting with my support hand only. Which I suck at...which is why I was doing it. lol

I went through a phase where I was trying to put at least 50 rounds of any popular, readily available JHP to make sure it would feed in a pinch if I ran out and only had time to run to academy or something.
Chris

I don't own any guns anymore

Currently accepting donations for one!
1 user thanked ChristopherLoaf for this useful post.
Shojikitsune on 4/22/2014(UTC)