Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Shooting .357 and .40
Rigel Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:46:29 AM(UTC)

My .40cal barrel arrived this week for my P250c .357 Xchange kit, so I went to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through both. For the .357 I used a box of Winchester White Box and some of the bulk ammo I ordered from Georgia Arms which was Speer. For the .40cal I used a box of Federal and some of the bulk ammo from Georgia Arms which was a mix of Speer, CCI, Winchester, Federal, and RP. I'm happy to report no problems what so ever. No light strikes, no FTE, no FTF. I think my problems the first time out were related to me getting used to the higher recoil of the .357. Now I can shoot 9mm, .357 or .40 depending on my mood and what ammo I can find a good deal on. After shooting a couple hundred rounds of .357 and .40, I tried some 9mm and did not even notice the recoil!

Just to confirm, all I did was drop the .40 barrel in the .357 Xchange kit. The recoil spring is the same, the mags are the same. The barrel does get a little hot after 100 rounds, so you may want to let it rest a few minutes before pulling it out or use a cloth to grip it.

I'm taking the Defensive Index Shooting class at the local gun club tomorrow and will probably shoot 9mm since I'm the most accurate with it at the moment.

Defensive Indexed Shooting
Most firearm engagements occur at 5 yards or closer. Speed and relative accuracy are the keys to survival. Using a natural, multi-axis index for gun alignment and a modified hand position for recoil control, shooters will learn to engage targets rapidly and accurately without depending on sights. Students will be taught target transition techniques. Significant time will be spent in live fire exercises to refine new skills. The techniques taught in this course will provide the cornerstone skills for the rest of the intermediate series of pistol courses.

Prerequisite: successful completion of shooting proficiency test

Attendees should have:
• Personal defense pistol, or arrange to rent a firearm
• 200 rounds of practice ammunition
• Hearing and eye protection
coop Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 2:44:17 PM(UTC)

cool, so with just ordering a .357 x-change kit for my full size 9mm, all need now is a barrel and I have a .40 cal also

and where can I get a .40cal barrel, everything I have found is 2 barrels?
Coop
Glock 19, Sig P229 E2, Sig P250 2Sum (9 & .357sig)

What other people think of me, is none of my business.
rcowan Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:21:48 PM(UTC)
rcowan

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Got home early last night and heeded the call.

Took the P250C out for a few rounds.
Had the 357 barrel in so I put around 50 rounds down range. For some reason I was firing high.
Took the 357 out and dropped the 40 barrel in (love that ability) and lit her up.

I don't understand but that series was more on the money. May be that I was just getting in the groove.

RC
Mpulse2005 Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2011 5:36:31 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I've never really compared my .357 to .40 groupings but do love that modularity also! ThumbsUp
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it." - John Hay (1872)
Vicsinner Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:45:59 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I've noticed my groupings vary a little between the two also. I'm blaming out on the need for new glasses
NRA life member
And general hot rod hooligan

P250C .40/.357sig
Mossy 500 boomstick
Glock 23
EvonRich Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:41:14 PM(UTC)
EvonRich

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have a .357 and was trying to find a .40 barrel without having to buy the conversion kit. There does not seem to be any out there.
I spoke to SIG customer service and he stated that the .357 shoots flatter than the .40. So that is why they only offer the .40 as a conversion kit, the slide has different sites to accommodate for the higher shot.

If you are just changing the barrel then this might explain it.
SigP250C .357Sig
Sig522
SW BG .380
racerx Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:02:00 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: EvonRich Go to Quoted Post
I have a .357 and was trying to find a .40 barrel without having to buy the conversion kit. There does not seem to be any out there.
I spoke to SIG customer service and he stated that the .357 shoots flatter than the .40. So that is why they only offer the .40 as a conversion kit, the slide has different sites to accommodate for the higher shot.

I purchased a used P250 that came with both a 40 S&W barrel and a .357 sig barrel. It doesn't have a conversion slide, just the one. After reading your post.. I just realized that. I'm trying to recall my experience at the range; I know one caliber seemed to be shooting either high or low. But since I was shooting my .40 springfield XDm just before I tried the new Sig, I dismissed the inconsistency and wrote off the differences to 6 o'clock sights on the XDm.

I just looked at the Sig website and see they don't sell the p250 in .357 sig, it requires a conversion kit. Now I'm wondering if my .357 barrel is aftermarket. Comparing the two barrels side by side, it says sig sauer on the barrel but the font is slightly different than the .40. The text on the .40 has an outline and the .357 does not.

When shooting the .357 I should probably compensate for the higher .40 sights and maybe use a 6 o'clock sight position?
racerx Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:07:26 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: racerx Go to Quoted Post

I purchased a used P250 that came with both a 40 S&W barrel and a .357 sig barrel. It doesn't have a conversion slide, just the one. After reading your post.. I just realized that. I'm trying to recall my experience at the range; I know one caliber seemed to be shooting either high or low. But since I was shooting my .40 springfield XDm just before I tried the new Sig, I dismissed the inconsistency and wrote off the differences to 6 o'clock sights on the XDm.

I just looked at the Sig website and see they don't sell the p250 in .357 sig, it requires a conversion kit. Now I'm wondering if my .357 barrel is aftermarket. Comparing the two barrels side by side, it says sig sauer on the barrel but the font is slightly different than the .40. The text on the .40 has an outline and the .357 does not.

When shooting the .357 I should probably compensate for the higher .40 sights and maybe use a 6 o'clock sight position?

Clarification: I bought the compact, they don't offer a .357 out of the box in the compact.
Photoshots Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 5:40:29 PM(UTC)

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I heard that SIG had released a large number of used/reconditioned P250 Compacts into the market which had used .357 barrel and new .40 barrels. These are to have come from the returned pistols of the Federal Air marshals (FAM) who cancelled their large order and made SIG take back all units in the field.
cstone Offline
#10 Posted : Monday, June 3, 2013 9:16:47 PM(UTC)
cstone

Was thanked: 146 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Photoshots Go to Quoted Post
I heard that SIG had released a large number of used/reconditioned P250 Compacts into the market which had used .357 barrel and new .40 barrels. These are to have come from the returned pistols of the Federal Air marshals (FAM) who cancelled their large order and made SIG take back all units in the field.

FAMS discontinued the pistol a couple of years ago and most of the two barrel x-change kits were sold off pretty quickly. I haven't seen any large movement in x-change kits in some time and the price for complete pistols and most parts has been steadily creeping upward since the panic started in December.

If anyone sees anything come in stock for the P250, at decent prices, it will usually get posted somewhere on this board.

Be safe.
adepto super vestri ego
P250X Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2021 11:56:53 AM(UTC)
P250X

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: racerx Go to Quoted Post

Currently have a P250 in 40S&W with thoughts about buying a 357sig barrel just because. So I would be curious about how much difference there would be in POI between the two.